Sunday, November 18, 2007

Illness Strikes Again


When I picked Jorja up from the sitters on Tuesday before Thanksgiving she was burning up. Once I got home and took her temp she was at 103.8. I gave her Tylenol and a cool bath which brought her temp down to 101. She was a happy baby at 101. Before too much longer her temp kept going up and up, then down again. The next day her Grammy kept her and said her temp rose to 104.1. We called her doctor's office which was closing at noon (the time I called) due to the upcoming holiday. The nurse told us to take Jorja to Cook Children's Hospital in Ft. Worth immediately. Upon arriving there JG's temp rose again to 104.2. We were seen pretty quickly. They were concerned because she didn't have diarrhea or vomiting so they knew it wasn't a virus. They did lung xrays, inserted a catheter and withdrew blood. Our poor baby was screaming and crying as loud as she possibly could. Talk about breaking my heart....I know what parents mean now when they say they wish they could take the pain for their child instead. After about fifteen minutes of torture the crying subsided and our sweet child had calmed down. The doctor came in and told us she had a Urinary Tract Infection which had multiplied and gotten into her blood. She got a needle poke of antibiotics, a prescription for more antibiotics and off we went. It was a five hour experience but well worth it. We got her fever down and she felt much better after a couple of hours. I was exhausted after I got home but Thanksgiving must go on...

No comments: